Eisai Launches BELVIQ® Patient Support Program Offering On-Line Tools to Enhance Weight Loss Efforts
The BELIEVE EVERYDAY SUPPORTSM Program Offers Customized Lifestyle Resources and Free Membership to Top Calorie Tracking App for Use by BELVIQ® (lorcaserin HCl) CIV Patients
Sep 12, 2013
WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J., Sept. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Eisai Inc. today announced the availability of the BELIEVE EVERYDAY SUPPORTSM program to provide free, comprehensive support and savings for BELVIQ® (lorcaserin HCl) CIV patients, including a customizable online portal designed to help some patients reach their weight loss goals and sustain their efforts.
"The BELIEVE EVERYDAY SUPPORT program is an extension of Eisai's human health care commitment to put patients and their families first. By providing BELVIQ patients with a truly useful, informative and educational platform, we are helping patients take the right steps towards losing weight and keeping that weight off," said Michael O'Brien, Vice President, Specialty Marketing and Sales Business Unit for Eisai. "Through a BELVIQ savings card, diet and exercise tips, calorie and activity tracking and offering nutritious recipes that meet patients' specific dietary needs, the program is designed to support efforts with BELVIQ treatment to help patients lead a healthy lifestyle in a way that works for them."
Patients who obtain a BELVIQ prescription can enroll for free online at BelieveSupport.com. The support program includes:
- A monthly savings card for commercially insured or cash-paying patients (restrictions apply)
- One-year full membership to Lose It!, the #1 downloaded app for tracking calories and activity
- Nutrition information and helpful advice from the experts at EatingWell®
- Tools for meal planning
- Tips to help patients stay motivated and reminders to help stay on track
Patients will have access to hundreds of EatingWell healthy recipes to help plan reduced calorie meals as part of BELVIQ therapy and the ability to search for them by specific ingredient or dietary need, as well as a 28-day meal planning tool vetted by EatingWell test kitchen experts. "Eating healthy requires meal planning and an understanding of your individual nutritional needs," said Renee Lauber, director of Health and Wellness Business Development at EatingWell. "This program makes it easy for patients to plan ahead and make healthy choices that may help encourage them on their path for successful weight loss and maintenance."
Physical activity is also an important component of BELVIQ treatment, but with the sudden influx of mobile apps and online tools available to help people lose weight, it can be hard to navigate which one will be effective. "Patients need a tool that allows them to customize their own weight loss program that fits into their lifestyle in order to achieve their desired results," said Kevin McCoy, senior vice president of Business Development at Lose It!. "Lose It! is based on the proven principles of calorie tracking and peer support for healthy, sustainable weight loss. We seamlessly connect you to the tools and food information needed during your weight loss journey as part of the BELIEVE EVERYDAY SUPPORT program."
About BELVIQ® (lorcaserin HCl) CIV Tablets
BELVIQ is used along with a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity for chronic weight management in adults who have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 kg/m2 or greater (obese), or
BMI of 27 kg/m2 or greater (overweight) with at least one weight-related medical condition such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or type 2 diabetes. It is not known if BELVIQ is safe and effective when taken with other prescription, over-the-counter, or herbal weight loss products, nor is it known if BELVIQ changes the risk of heart problems or stroke, or of death due to heart problems or stroke.
BELVIQ is believed to decrease food consumption and promote satiety by selectively activating serotonin 2C receptors in the brain. The exact mechanism of action of BELVIQ is not known.
Important Safety Information
- Pregnancy: Do not take BELVIQ if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, as weight loss offers no potential benefit during pregnancy and BELVIQ may harm your unborn baby.
- Serotonin Syndrome or Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS)-like reactions: Before using BELVIQ, tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, especially medicines that treat depression, migraines, mental problems, or the common cold. These medicines may cause serious or life-threatening side effects if taken with BELVIQ. Call your doctor right away if you experience agitation, hallucinations, confusion, or other changes in mental status; coordination problems; uncontrolled muscle spasms; muscle twitching; restlessness; racing or fast heartbeat; high or low blood pressure; sweating; fever; nausea; vomiting; diarrhea; or stiff muscles.
- Valvular heart disease: Some people taking medicines like BELVIQ have had heart valve problems. Call your doctor right away if you experience trouble breathing; swelling of the arms, legs, ankles, or feet; dizziness, fatigue, or weakness that will not go away; or fast or irregular heartbeat. Before taking BELVIQ, tell your doctor if you have or have had heart problems.
- Changes in attention or memory: BELVIQ may slow your thinking. You should not drive a car or operate heavy equipment until you know how BELVIQ affects you.
- Mental problems: Taking too much BELVIQ may cause hallucinations, a feeling of being high or in a very good mood, or feelings of standing outside your body.
- Depression or thoughts of suicide: Call your doctor right away if you notice any mental changes, especially sudden changes in your mood, behaviors, thoughts, or feelings, or if you have depression or thoughts of suicide.
- Low blood sugar: Weight loss can cause low blood sugar in people taking medicines for type 2 diabetes, such as insulin or sulfonylureas. Blood sugar levels should be checked before and while taking BELVIQ. Changes to diabetes medication may be needed if low blood sugar develops.
- Painful erections: If you have an erection lasting more than 4 hours while on BELVIQ, stop taking BELVIQ and call your doctor or go to the nearest emergency room right away.
- Slow heartbeat: BELVIQ may cause your heart to beat slower.
- Decreases in blood cell count: BELVIQ may cause your red and white blood cell counts to decrease.
- Increase in prolactin: BELVIQ may increase the amount of a hormone called prolactin. Tell your doctor if your breasts begin to make milk or a milky fluid, or if you are a male and your breasts increase in size.
- Most common side effects in patients without diabetes: Headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, dry mouth, and constipation.
- Most common side effects in patients with diabetes: Low blood sugar, headache, back pain, cough, and fatigue.
- Nursing: BELVIQ should not be taken while breastfeeding.
- Drug interactions: Before taking BELVIQ, tell your doctor if you take medicines for depression, migraines, or other medical conditions, such as: triptans; medicines used to treat mood, anxiety, psychotic or thought disorders, including tricyclics, lithium, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, selective serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, or antipsychotics; cabergoline; linezolid (an antibiotic); tramadol; dextromethorphan (an over-the-counter (OTC) common cold/cough medicine); OTC supplements such as tryptophan or St. John's Wort; or erectile dysfunction medicines.
BELVIQ is a federally controlled substance (CIV) because it may be abused or lead to drug dependence.
About Eisai Inc.
At Eisai Inc., human health care is our goal. We give our first thoughts to patients and their families, and helping to increase the benefits health care provides. As the U.S. pharmaceutical subsidiary of Tokyo-based Eisai Co., Ltd., our passionate commitment to patient care is the driving force behind our efforts to help address unmet medical needs. We are a fully integrated pharmaceutical business with discovery, clinical, manufacturing and marketing capabilities. Our key areas of commercial focus include oncology and specialty care (Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy and metabolic disorders). To learn more about Eisai Inc., please visit us at www.eisai.com/US.
Eisai Inc. has affiliates that are part of a global product creation organization that includes R&D facilities in Massachusetts, New Jersey, North Carolina and Pennsylvania, as well as a global demand chain organization that includes manufacturing facilities in Maryland and North Carolina. Eisai's global areas of R&D focus include neuroscience; oncology; metabolic disorders; vascular, inflammatory and immunological reaction; and antibody-based programs.
SOURCE Eisai Inc.